Every species of bird will require a different sized cage to keep it safe. If you follow these few simple rules you will be sure that your pet is happy in its home for many years.
When you are choosing a new bird cage, it is very important that you buy the biggest cage that your budget can stretch to, ensure the bars are coated with non-toxic paint, and check that you have enough room in your property to comfortably home the new cage.
When purchasing a cage, especially a larger cage, ensure that the bar spacing is appropriate for your bird. A cage for a larger parrot that has wide bar spacing is not suitable for a small finch, for example.
The following information will give you a good guideline to which cage is suitable for each size of bird.
- Canaries, finches and budgies will need a cage at least 18” x 18” x 30” with a bar spacing of between ¼” – ½”
- Ring neck parakeets, parrotlets, lovebirds and the like will need a cage that has dimensions of 24” x 24” x 36” with bars 5/8” – ¾”
- Amazons, African grey’s, mini macaws and cockatoos will require 36” x 24” x 36” with the bars spaced ¾” – 1” apart
- Large cockatoos and macaws will need a cage of at least 36” x 36” x 60” with bar spacing of between 1” – 1.5”
Some birds may feel insecure in a round cage, which will make them noisy and misbehave. Try to avoid round cages for larger birds.
For smaller, flighted birds, the length of the cage is more important than the height, as this will allow room for the birds to fly. There are many cages on the market that serve well as flight cages for smaller birds. Cages that are rectangular in shape are ideal.
For parrots and other bigger species, a rectangular or round cage is ok. Click on the following link for some unbiased and reliable reviews for large parrot cages. You will also find detailed information on a wide range of makes and models.
Do not overlook the bar spacing when purchasing a new cage. Your bird needs to be both secure and safe. Having the wrong sized bars can easily cause injury to your bird.
For parrots, bars that are horizontally oriented are important as this allows them to use their beak and feet to climb. For smaller birds such as finches and canaries that do not use their beaks and feet to climb, orientation of the bars is not as important.
Easy to Maintain
Choosing a cage that is easy to maintain will make your life, and more importantly, your birds life a happier one. Choose a cage with a wipe clean, pull out tray and seed containers that are removable.
You need a cage that is powder coated with a non-toxic coating, or made of stainless steel.
Make sure you are buying a cage that is big enough to house your bird. Some species can live for many years, so the cage will be there home for a long time.
A simple rule to follow is to buy a cage that is at least two times the size of its wing span, this way the bird will easily be able to exercise and move around the cage in comfort.
Always remember that a happy bird is a well behaved and quiet one. No one wants a noisy or naughty pet, and keeping a bird locked in a cage for its entire life is completely unethical.
Look around for reviews, there will be the perfect cage that fits both your home, and the needs of your pet.
It is not rocket science, everyone knows that to cook rice you need heat and water, not forgetting the rice of course. But how do rice cookers work, how do they know when the rice is cooked, let’s ask them!
This is what the rice cooker said “First rice sits, then it boils, then it absorbs water in the form of steam, then it rests!”
Ok, thank you rice cooker for letting us know, the rice cooker has spoken!
This is all about simple rice cookers, simple on/off/keep warm rice cookers. If white rice is what you want then this type of rice cooker is for you.
The simple rice cooker appliance consists of a main body, inner cooking pot, an electric heating plate and a thermal-sensing device with switches.
For a more step by step account read on;
- Water and rice sit in the pot
- The pot goes into the main body
- The weight of the pot depresses the thermal-sensing device
- The heating plate quickly boils the water content
- The sensing device is a small spring loaded thermometer, gauging the temperature
- It is set within the bottom of the main body in the heating plate
- The heating plate then heats the cooking pot
- The metals used are often copper or aluminum amongst others
- These metals are very conductive (different metals will affect the speed of heating)
- Water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit or 100 degrees Celsius
- The heating plate works quickly to bring the rice to boiling point
- It will not get any hotter, the temperature will remain stable
- Until the water is absorbed, the temperature will rise and cause the cooker to switch off or keep warm
- Now it can rest!
There is something very satisfying about knowing you have a neat little gadget that cooks your rice perfectly. A simple rice cooker will last a long time if you use it correctly and once you get used to using it you will not want to be without it. No more oven cleaning and no more dried or sticky rice granules all over the place.
A quick soak of the cooking pot in cold and then a quick wash in soapy water means all the rice ends up on the plate and not in the sink or the floor or the stove or even the pot. Rice cookers are cleaner and safer and there is no chance of boiling over or boiling dry.
With such a variety of rice cookers available from the smallest suitable for a single or maybe your baby likes rice to the 10 cup dinner party rice cooker.
Check out Kitchen Dome for the latest reviews on rice cookers.
The good news is that there are plenty of recumbent exercise bikes to choose from and the bad news is that they are still relatively expensive as they are still not being mass produced.
Of course the overall design is a bit more luxurious than an upright bike so you are going to be more comfortable and it is well worth the investment.
Take a look at your Fitness Shopper for reviews of some of the best.
We can take a quick look at cons of other exercise bikes to see why you may prefer a recumbent.
The front wheel spins, hence the name. They are very much like real bikes and quite hard work and quite boring. Spinning classes make them a bit more fun; training in a class will always give you a double dose of feel good hormones.
These upright bikes are the most common on the market and as you are leaning left and right and bouncing around you can’t do much else but exercise and take care.
Dual action bikes
These will work both upper and lower body with handles that move independently similar to an elliptical machine. It can be tough to start with and can also get a bit boring.
- Even the most exercise shy person will find this type of bike comfortable and easy to use. The seat is large and can be much better for anyone carrying a bit of extra weight.
- Recumbent exercise bikes can be worked with no resistance
- For athletes the resistance can be set high to simulate cycling uphill and sprinting
- Upper body can be worked by adding weights
- Recumbents offer a more sustainable form of exercise
- With good posture i.e. your back is supported and you are lower to the ground there is far less chance of strains and other injuries
- You can do low impact cardio training on a recumbent
Recumbents for men
- Men can get a bit carried away with upper body so recumbent exercise makes a nice change at working the leg muscles
- Men who are wanting to work both upper and lower body can do curls at the same time as pedaling so as not to lose out
- There is no discomfort in the male anatomy with a recumbent unlike the saddles on upright bikes!
- If you move the seat up a bit to bring the legs higher you can target the lower abdominals, which can be quite difficult with other forms of exercise
Recumbents for women
- Give up the stair-steps and take up the recumbent position for your legs and bottoms, it is a lot more fun and quicker too
- If you want long, lean legs and cute thighs you can target these different muscle groups with the programs on a recumbent
- Female anatomy also fairs better on a recumbent!
So there is plenty of good reasons to go for a recumbent exercise bike and not many good reasons for sitting on the sofa. You can even watch T.V. quite easily while working those legs so no more excuses.
Whether you want to lose weight, get fit or train for a triathlon there is a bike for you.